Today we look at Premature baby development-PHYSICAL skills.Baby 0-6m
(As a guide Always remember if your baby was born 2 months premature then its normal development will only be reached 2 month later than a baby that went to full term. its very dangerous to compare the development of a premature baby to that of a friend of family’s baby that went to full term 38-42 weeks gestation yet born on the same day).
Physical skills helping baby reach development baby milestones normally reached from 0-6 months. Includes large motor skills involving major parts of the body and small fine motor skills hand eye co-ordination.
The first few weeks are sleeping and growing time.Getting baby into a good routine is a possitive step in parenting a newborn. Regular feeding pattern sleeping pattern.Promotion of the sensory development .The premature baby may need to adjust to any medication, milk feeds etc and can catch colds very easily. The premature baby can be more prone to getting infections.If baby does not have any physical needs or disability that stops play the following activites are good to promote a baby’s good muscle tone during the first few months.
- A cot musical wind up mobile put baby in moses basket then into the cot and let baby watch and listen fixing eyes on an object, it will help develop eye movements and focusing vision on objects close by.
- Placing baby on your shoulder position encourges baby to develop strong neck muscles and lead to supporting the head feely as baby gets stronger.playing peek aboo will get your baby to look at you and smiling occurs from 6 weeks old.Its important to talk to baby at every opportunity to face baby towards you face and enjoy conversation even if it sounds wishy washy baby talk. Baby soon will start to respond to you make coo and ahh noices in return.
- As baby becomes more alert during the day a kick and play blanket is good to help baby get used to knowing he/she has hands,can wriggle,kick legs feely vibrating soft toys are good as over time baby will try to bat the toy,touch and feel objects pass toys from one hand to another and eventually turn from tummy to back and from back to tummy.Rolling over.
- leaving baby in one position all day is’nt good as baby can develop a condition called flat head syndrome.
- Toys– ones that make sounds to develop good hearing, rattles,musical wind up toys,kick and play bouncy chairs with toy rail,toy gym that baby can play under toys keys baby can learn to graps,teething rings.
- Here are some links with recommended toys for the first 0-6m.
Tomorrow we look at emotional and social development in the premature baby