more pregnancy tests what do i need after positive result?
Well 3 positive home pregnancy tests reveal a positive result, now what? is there a reason for more tests in pregnancy ? or do you ignore advice and never see a doctor or midwife throughout the rest of your pregnancy? Lets take a look at what other tests may be needed and which ones you can say NO to.
What are the first tests in Pregnancy after the initial positive pregnancy test?
Non invasive tests these involve asking questions, taking blood tests looking at family history etc to see if the pregnancy may be high risk then further tests can then be opted in for such as a scan or opted out for with more invasive ones.
NON INVASIVE TESTS IN PREGNANCY
non–invasive prenatal testing – this test in pregnancy gives information about a pregnancy without causing harm to the unborn child.
a blood tests is taken first in pregnancy at antenatal.
Its to measure for 3 Triple test or 4 quad test and looks at alpha-fetoprotein, human chorionic gonadotropin and unconjugated estriol and inhibin A.These pregnancy test results can only show that there may be a problem, but they do not prove that there definitely is one!
What are these 4 substances ?
- alpha-fetoprotein- (also known as maternal serum)is found in both fetal serum and also amniotic fluid. A protein produced early in gestation by the fetal yolk sac and then later in the liver and gastrointestinal tract. This protein’s level increases and decreases during certain weeks of pregnancy which is why accurate pregnancy dating is crucial.too much or too little at certains times in pregnancy can suggest a birth defect.
- human chorionic gonadotropin-this is the hormone produced in pregnancy up to 5-11 weeks these levels are at their highest .The levels double every 48-72 hours.Its good to have this pregnancy hormone in pregnancy as it tells your body that a baby is growing and not to treat it as if it were an infection that the bodys natural antibodies would want to attack.
|Here is a rough guide how they increase
3 weeks into pregnancy levels at LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
3. unconjugated estriol– produced by the fetus and its liver by the placenta. in pregnancy these levels increase, if these are low levels then medical staff may want to repeat the test as it can indicate certain birth defect problems.
You do not have to have more invasive tests done such as an Amniocentesis or CVS if you feel presurised, an abortion will be offered as women are often put under pressure to do these quickly before 24 weeks gestation.
4. inhibin A- if this part of the test is elevated then it indicates the pregnancy could have a baby that has downs syndrome.An Amniocentesis is offered to the pregnant woman,its a more invasive test that can cause a miscarriage, you do not have to this test. if you want to keep the baby you still do not have to have this test done.As on a possitve diagnosis following an amniocentesis an abortion will then be offered.
Scan tests in pregnancy,different types of scans
Types of pregnancy scans usually 2 are offered except when the pregnancy needs to be monitored.
You may have a couple of scans in pregnancy to see how the pregnancy is progressing and to check measurements of baby to see if they coincide with a due date .Scans also detect detailed images of fetal anomalies to such as blocked kidneys,birth defects. its not a scan just to see if baby is a boy or a girl although they may tell you around the 20 week scan,if baby is lying in a good position They will also tell you it is not an absolute definite too..
1st scan in pregnancy, the Dating scan or viable pregnancy scan: during first trimester varies per hospital between 7-14 weeks gestation of pregnancy. Gives an idea when baby is due can detect in threatened miscarriages if baby’s heart beat is still beating,if baby has passed away or other problems such as ectopic pregnancies in cases of bleeding and pain. In this scan the sonographer looks for the gestational sac detected from 5 weeks into the pregnancy.Scan reveals Fetal heartbeat detected from 6 weeks.Measures Crown to rump of baby for an estimated due date of delivery.The first anomaly scan can reveal certain anomalies this scan looks at Nuchal translucency test and nasal bone scan.
2nd scan in pregnancy Fetal Anomaly screening scan between 18-23 weeks gestation.
Using a 10 point system the sonographer will record measurements of growth and development of baby. The Scan will look at the Head, Spine, Chest,Heart, Stomach, Abdomen,Bladder,Limbs,Sex of baby, Activity in womb and baby’s behaviour. The Scan also checks the activity and placing of Placenta, Cord function and Amniotic Fluid.
- Standard : a 2 dimentional black and white image
- level 2 : When a possible fetal anomaly may be present this scan is more target to look closer for the anomalies
- level 3: a more detailed scan when cardiac heart conditions may be present.
- 3D: a 3d picture of baby
- 4D: an extension to the normal 2d scans. Some companies offer this private service a 3d scan taken over time reveals a much more study of babys well being in greater detail.put altogether into a DVD the pictures look like baby’s is moving in realtime lifelike views of baby moving inside.
tomorrow we look at invasive tests in pregnancy and if you have to have these done.