This year an outbreak of Ecoli spread in germany the cause was said to be salad vegetables which caused 16 deaths.So how much more so in premature babies whose tiny immune systems are weak and immature.in tonights Uk news headlines a maternity unit was on alert and closed due to an outbreak of ecoli killing 2 premature babies.The outbreak is thought to have come from an infected mum which spread on the ward.
How can you keep germs at bay from babies on the NICU that are so vunerable. Here are 5 important things to think about and take action with.
- If in doubt keep them out only immediately family can visit a prem baby on the NICU so if your own children want to visit that are sick or even have a slight cold keep them at home with someone you can trust ie friend or neighbour during visiting.
- Strict hand washing prior to entering the Nicu and touching baby in an incubator.
- wear a paper gown over clothes if you smoke and want to be next to baby in the incubator.Or Quit! so there is no risk to baby.
- Even parents with tummy upsets should avoid being near baby in the NICU.
- maintain good hygiene practises at home too with your premature baby these tiny little ones can be struck down with chest infections too easily during their first year alone.Avoid coming into contact with anyone who wants to visit and is sick.
What is Ecoli ?
An infection that gets into the digestional tract.Causes diarrhea vomiting stomach cramps.Can be fatal if it gets into the nervous system.